Senior Mechanical Engineer - Sustaining
Palo Alto, California, United States
Wing is reshaping the future of delivery. We are an on-demand drone delivery service that can deliver food, medicine or other items within minutes. We’ve also developed an uncrewed traffic management platform to safely route drones through the sky. Our service is faster, safer and produces far less pollution than traditional delivery. Originally created in 2012 within X, the Moonshot Factory, Wing is now an Alphabet company.
About the Role:
Do you love transforming an R&D prototype into a product at scale? Are you passionate about the future of transportation, solving technical & process problems, and pushing the envelope of what’s possible? If you answered “yes” to these questions, this may be the role for you!
Wing is looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer - Sustaining to join our Mechanical Engineering team based in Palo Alto, CA.
This position seeks highly motivated individuals to become key members of a multi-functional team responsible for the design transfer and support of manufacturing processes of the drone and accessories. This role provides feedback with an eye towards manufacturing at scale to the team throughout the lifecycle of product development, from early-stage DFM to production support.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead brainstorms with mechanical engineers, manufacturers, quality engineers, and supply chain managers to generate creative solutions to manufacturing, inspection, and process problems
- Design & improve aircraft components, fixtures, tools, and other manufacturing infrastructure in CAD.
- Devise quick tests and proof of concepts, build prototypes
- Lead design & qualification of assembly & inspection fixtures
- Work with vendors to increase yield and reduce BOM cost
- Define new product introduction activities around manufacturing transfer (assessing existing capabilities, identifying strengths and gaps)
- Interface tightly with manufacturing, operations, service, and other teams on Wing
- Collaborate with external vendors, including technical capability assessment as part of selection of contract manufacturing partners
- Investigate nonconformances, test failures, and quality issues, working with manufacturing, quality, and supply chain to develop effective resolutions
What You’ll Need:
- BSc/MSc in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Manufacturing, or equivalent with 5+ years of experience
- Proficient in CAD software and EPDM (SolidWorks preferred)
- Strong GD&T drawing expertise & familiarity with ANSI standards
- Experience with early & late stage product development cycles, experience in launching & sustaining a product
- Experience with CNC, sheet metal, composites and rapid prototyping fabrication
- Practical knowledge of how to quickly prototype and test designs as well as experience with high-volume production manufacturing methods like injection molding or die casting
- Experience in driving fast development cycles with vendors locally and abroad
- Ability to work independently, communicate effectively across functional teams, navigate complex trade spaces, and to keep technical projects with tight timelines on track
- Strives in fast paced environment, adapts quickly to new requirements
- Domestic and international travel to suppliers & manufacturers is encouraged but not required
At Wing, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.