Perception Software Engineer
Palo Alto, California, United States
Wing is reshaping the future of delivery. We are an on-demand drone delivery service that can deliver food, medicine or other items within minutes. We’ve also developed an uncrewed traffic management platform to safely route drones through the sky. Our service is faster, safer and produces far less pollution than traditional delivery. Originally created in 2012 within X, the Moonshot Factory, Wing is now an Alphabet company.
About the Role:
Wing is looking for a Perception Software Engineer to join our Flight Automation team based in Palo Alto, CA. As a Perception Software Engineer, you will leverage your coding expertise to augment the senses of the aircraft so it can safely operate around people, buildings, and terrain. You will work in a multidisciplinary environment with direct access to our electrical, mechanical, GNC (Guidance, Navigation, and Control), and embedded software engineers.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and test solutions for visual odometry, obstacle sensing and navigation, and global localization in GPS-challenged environments
- Develop and test firmware and drivers for a variety of sensors, including cameras
- Build the testing and analysis infrastructure required to validate these solutions and continuously monitor their performance
- See your solutions through the entire life-cycle: concept, design, implementation, testing and evaluation, fielding, and support
- Participate in the team's processes, including: requirement and design documentation, test-plan generation and execution, peer design and code reviews, and process feedback and improvements
What You’ll Need:
- Degree in Computer Science, Robotics, Aerospace, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience programming in C++
- Experience with operating system fundamentals for embedded systems, networking and Linux
- Experience working with camera sensors for computer vision applications such as AR/VR, visual/inertial integration, stereo vision and/or point cloud processing
- Experience with camera manufacturing and camera calibration
- Experience in estimation, dynamics, and/or controls
- Experience with autonomous ground or airborne vehicles
- Familiarity with computer vision, optical sensors, flight control, and simulation
- Enjoy developing systems from concept through production and crafting practical solutions that run reliably on real-world systems
At Wing, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.