System Engineer - Software Integration
Palo Alto, California, United States
Wing is reshaping the future of delivery. We are an on-demand drone delivery service that can deliver food, medicine or other items within minutes. We’ve also developed an uncrewed traffic management platform to safely route drones through the sky. Our service is faster, safer and produces far less pollution than traditional delivery. Originally created in 2012 within X, the Moonshot Factory, Wing is now an Alphabet company.
About the Role:
As a Software Systems Engineer for Wing, you will utilize your domain knowledge and engineering skills to translate business needs into technical requirements, develop trade studies to influence technology selection, create and maintain system level documentation in support of regulatory approvals and new business partners, plan and execute verification and validation activities on various system product levels. The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience supporting safety critical or large scale, distributed software applications, ability to analyze and document complex topics, and works effectively in a dynamic, cross-functional team.
What You’ll Do:
- Support product development and help drive design decisions from inception to launch including formulating and defining system solutions, generating technical requirements.
- Creating system level documentation such as Concept of Operations, Interface Descriptions, Performance Analyses and other regulatory documents.
- Collect information regarding product required functionality, software service interfaces.
- Guide product design decisions and concept of operations to help the business scale and meet the needs of new partners.
- Apply analytical skills to extract insights from large and complex datasets to inform product performance, quantify design implementations, and analyze and monitor the system performance and availability.
- Plan and execute verification and validation activities, and develop evidence based test reports for internal and external consumption, and maintain verification tools and data.
- Collaboratively design, build, and execute processes for software verification and validation on multiple products.
- Participate and contribute to the development of engineering templates, processes and best practices.
- Work collaboratively with specialized engineering domains, operations, legal, standards etc. on cutting edge technologies while managing dependencies, risk and safety.
What You’ll Need:
- BA/BS in System Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5+ years of related domain experience as a System Engineer, Product subject matter expert, or Software Engineer.
- Experience with system engineering methods focused on large scale software applications, automation, data analytics, safety systems.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience partnering with policy and regulatory teams and working with external regulators
- Python / C++ / SQL
- Passion for Aviation
At Wing, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.