Flight Operations Manager
Canberra or Brisbane, Australia
Wing is reshaping the future of delivery. We are an on-demand drone delivery service that can deliver food, medicine or other items within minutes. We’ve also developed an uncrewed traffic management platform to safely route drones through the sky. Our service is faster, safer and produces far less pollution than traditional delivery. Originally created in 2012 within X, the Moonshot Factory, Wing is now an Alphabet company.
About the Role:
Wing is looking for a Flight Operations Manager to join our Flight Operations team in Canberra as part of the national flight operations center. In this role you’ll be responsible for managing Wing delivery flight operations across multiple sites in Australia. You will be responsible for the performance of flight staff providing primary support to the Chief Pilot in their day to day duties.
You will understand daily operations in detail as well as equipment and personnel demand changes to effectively execute and report on operational changes that need to take place. You will work with other teams within our drone delivery service, such as customer support, market operations along with maintenance and manufacturing personnel. You will understand the impact of flight operations on all aspects of our business both internal and external and strive for excellence within yourself and your teams.
What You’ll Do:
- Working to the Chief Pilot, oversee the safe and legal daily operation of Wing’s delivery business in Australia, including ongoing and high volume commercial delivery operations and demonstrations/tests for regulators and other external stakeholders
- Manage the Australia-based day to day flight operations staffing and flight and duty rostering to ensure high efficiency and productivity Manage every aspect of one or multiple Wing’s operating sites
- Manage a team of flight staff
- Ensure that sites are safe and operating at full potential and conduct system, site safety and risk assessments as required
- Assist with the development of procedures and manuals
- Maintain constant communication with your team members, as well as other company personnel to safely and effectively operate the system
- Participate in new site evaluation, setup, and approval for commercial operations
- Ensure staff are trained and qualified in line with company and regulator expectations
- Respond to emergency situations and provide clear and concise briefings
What You’ll Need:
- 2+ years of experience in a supervisory role; including operating in a multi crew environment
- Current CASA issued RePL
- Holds a pass in the CASA IREX, or an instrument rating issued by CASA or equivalent ADF qualification
- Bachelor's degree or 2 years experience in aviation either manned or unmanned
- Experience with scheduling or coordinating field operations in commercial or public RPAS operations or other industries
- Willingness to work shifts and weekends as needed
- Excellent communication skills
- Good planning and quantitative skills
- Ability to multitask and adapt to changing priorities
- A determination to recruit and foster the development of diverse teams
- Passion or interest in technology, especially automation and aviation
- Experience in new technologies or tech operations
- Knowledge of Google desktop products such as Google Docs
This position is subject to Wing’s Drug and Alcohol testing policy in accordance with Wing’s operating procedures
At Wing, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.