Embedded Software Engineer
Palo Alto, California, United States
Wing is reshaping the future of delivery. We are an on-demand drone delivery service that can deliver food, medicine or other items within minutes. We’ve also developed an uncrewed traffic management platform to safely route drones through the sky. Our service is faster, safer and produces far less pollution than traditional delivery. Originally created in 2012 within X, the Moonshot Factory, Wing is now an Alphabet company.
About the Role:
Wing is looking for an Embedded Software Engineer to join our team in Palo Alto, CA.
As an Embedded Software Engineer, you will use your experience developing real-time, embedded applications to enable the next-generation of unmanned technology. In this role, you will collaborate with multidisciplinary teams of electrical, mechanical, and GNC (Guidance, Navigation, and Control) engineers.
What you’ll do:
- Work with cross-functional teams to gather requirements and define architectures for new vehicle software
- Select and configure embedded operating systems for high-reliability, real-time computing applications
- Develop and maintain device drivers for peripherals connected via I2C, SPI, CAN, UART, Ethernet, USB, and PCIe
- Develop and maintain vehicle software modules interfacing with sensors, motors, servos and avionics
- Plan and execute test procedures to verify software performance at all levels of integration on the vehicle
- Maintain and improve embedded build infrastructure and automated test environments
What you'll need:
- Demonstrated experience writing multi-threaded code for time critical and/or safety critical applications
- Proficient programming with C/C++ in a Linux and/or baremetal environment
- Experience with one or more of:
- Implementing embedded security elements such as protecting data at rest, preventing unauthorized system access, and secure boot features
- Optimizing the performance of real-time and fault-tolerant safety critical systems
- Understanding of structured software development processes (code reviews, version control, unit test development, on-hardware test & debugging)
- Knowledge of electronics principles, including reading schematics and using logic analyzers, oscilloscope and other test equipment
- Master's degree
- Passion for Aviation or UAV (Drones)
- MatLab, Python, SQL, Bash
- Linux SysAdmin experience
- Experience developing for safety critical systems
At Wing, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.