Palo Alto, California, United States
Wing is reshaping the future of delivery. We are an on-demand drone delivery service that can deliver food, medicine or other items directly to customers within minutes. We’ve developed an unmanned airspace management platform to safely route drones through the sky. Our service is faster, safer and produces far less pollution than traditional delivery. Originally created in 2012 within X, the Moonshot Factory, Wing is now an Alphabet company.
About the Role:
Are you a passionate, results-oriented self-starter who enjoys writing and running backend server code using best-in-class practices?
Wing is looking for a Backend Engineer to join our team in Palo Alto, CA. In this role, you’ll collaborate to architect, design and implement our core backend services. You will be part of a team working to build algorithms & data storage systems used by our cloud-based flight planning systems. Your day may involve brainstorming new features, systems, or algorithms, as well as delivering on defined roadmaps, or even hustling to quickly adapt and incorporate new functionality. Your work will be touched by real users as Wing launches unique airspace and delivery products to the public.
What You’ll Do:
- Design and implement backend software systems to integrate a wide-ranging set of data into our flight automation systems
- Design and implement processing systems including: storage system design, data processing pipelines, and distributed services
- Design and implement internal tools, interfaces and integration tests that include your backend server work
- Participate in team software processes, including: requirement and test-plan generation, design doc creation, implementation with code review, and deployment
- Work on cross-disciplinary problems such as large scale Information storage and retrieval, geospatial mapping technologies, Unmanned Traffic Management systems
What You’ll Need:
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, a related field or equivalent practical experience
- 3+ years developing distributed back end services (We primarily write C++)
- Experience developing and maintaining production systems deployed to the cloud
- Experience handling sensitive customer data and logs
- Ability to design and implement mission-critical software & systems
- Strong experience in designing and implementing highly horizontally-scalable architecture
- Passion for Aviation and Drone technologies!
At Wing, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.