Flight Automation Embedded Software Engineer
Palo Alto, California, United States
About the Company:
Wing is reshaping the future of delivery. We are an on-demand drone delivery service that can deliver food, medicine or other items directly to customers within minutes. We’ve developed an unmanned airspace management platform to safely route drones through the sky. Our service is faster, safer and produces far less pollution than traditional delivery. Originally created in 2012 within X, the Moonshot Factory, Wing is now an Alphabet company.
About the Role:
Wing is looking for an Embedded Software Engineer to join our Flight Automation team in Palo Alto, CA.
As an Embedded Software Engineer, you will use your experience developing working with large systems and physical devices to enable the next-generation of unmanned technology. In this role, you will collaborate with multidisciplinary teams of electrical, mechanical, computer vision, backend services, and GNC (Guidance, Navigation, and Control) engineers. You will develop and maintain the system of applications that forms the platform of the vehicle software. Your work will span from the cloud backend to linux application development and bare metal programming on the aircraft to form a cohesive system.
What You’ll Do:
- Work with cross-functional teams to gather requirements and define architectures for new vehicle software
- Drive new software frameworks and features through the full software lifecycle - design, implementation, validation and roll-out to production
- Root cause and resolve problems being seen in production using remote fleet diagnostics, local hardware and test automation platforms
- Develop and maintain vehicle software modules interfacing with sensors, motors, servos and avionics
- Plan and execute test procedures to verify software performance at all levels of integration on the vehicle
- Maintain and improve embedded build infrastructure and automated test environments
What You'll Need:
- Demonstrated experience writing multi-threaded, highly reliable code with components that span different systems and environments
- 2+ years of experience programming with C/C++ in a Linux, RTOS and/or bare metal environment
- Understanding of structured software development processes (code reviews, version control, unit test development, on-hardware test & debugging)
- Ability to independently work with cross-functional teams to drive features to completion
- Experience with one or more of:
- Backend software development, especially as it pertains to interfacing with a fleet of physical devices
- Embedded programming, RTOS development, bare metal systems
- Linux platform and application development experience
- Master's degree
- Passion for Aviation or UAV (Drones)
- MatLab, Python, SQL, Bash
- Linux SysAdmin experience
- Experience developing for safety critical systems
At Wing, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.