Ground Flight Support Specialist
Palo Alto, California, United States
Wing is reshaping the future of delivery. We are an on-demand drone delivery service that can deliver food, medicine or other items within minutes. We’ve also developed an unmanned traffic management platform to safely route drones through the sky. Our service is faster, safer and produces far less pollution than traditional delivery. Originally created in 2012 within X, the Moonshot Factory, Wing is now an Alphabet company.
About the Role:
The Facilities Manager/Flight Ground Support Specialist is responsible for managing the daily design, planning, improvements, and maintenance of equipment, machinery, buildings and other facilities at our 20K/sf test facility located in Hollister, CA. In addition, this role will provide ground support for small UAV (unmanned drone aircraft) flight testing activities including package handling, aircraft set up and retrieval, and limited aircraft maintenance.
Wing is looking for a Facilities Manager/Flight Ground Support Specialist to join our Operations Team with the ability to ensure that our facilities, equipment, and services meet the daily needs of Wing staff members and guests visiting the site.
What You’ll Do:
Day-to-day work will include:
- Oversee all site and work areas and ensure facilities are safe and fully operational.
- Complete daily site inspections to ensure the site is operating safely and effectively.
- Ensure Wing staff have the workspace, services, materials, and equipment needed on site to maximize productivity.
- Occasionally travel to 2-3 distant locations to perform and record monthly site safety and maintenance inspections.
- Diagnosing failures and technical problems associated with site equipment and infrastructure and determining proper solutions.
- Oversee facilities renovation, refurbishment, improvement, and construction projects and schedule work activities during periods lease likely to disrupt planned flight operations.
- Create and execute contingency plans to ensure usability of the site in the event of potential disruption to business continuity such as equipment breakdowns.
- Communicate directly with stakeholders and work closely with internal clients, third-party vendors, suppliers, Landlord/agents, and local agencies to ensure quality and continuity.
- Perform ground support for volume flight testing including payload/package loading and recovery and aircraft set up and retrieval.
- Perform flight test operations equipment setup & teardown.
- Perform Visual Observer (VO) duties in accordance with the FAA Small UAS Rule (14 CFR part 107).
- Perform field maintenance, repair, and testing of various flight systems equipment.
What You’ll Need:
- Clean driving record
- Familiarity with directives and procedures of FAA Small UAS Rule (14 CFR part 107). (FAA part 107 remote pilot certificate is not required).
- Strong written and oral communication, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated experience using common hand and power tools.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds frequently and work outdoors for extended periods.
- Physical ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including protective glasses, headgear, gloves, and footwear as required.
- Interest in general aviation, RC and/or drone operations.
- Local travel as required but anticipate < 10% per week
- Valid Class C California Driver’s license.
- Familiarity with the safe storage and handling of Lithium-ion Batteries (training to be provided).
- BA/BS degree in a technical field or equivalent practical experience.
At Wing, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.