Manufacturing Process Engineer
Palo Alto, California, United States
Wing is reshaping the future of delivery. We are an on-demand drone delivery service that can deliver food, medicine or other items within minutes. We’ve also developed an unmanned traffic management platform to safely route drones through the sky. Our service is faster, safer and produces far less pollution than traditional delivery. Originally created in 2012 within X, the Moonshot Factory, Wing is now an Alphabet company.
About the Role:
Are you a creative, results-oriented self-starter? Are you passionate about manufacturing best-in-class delivery drone? If you answered “yes” to these questions, this may be the role for you!
Wing is looking for a Manufacturing Process Engineer to join our Manufacturing team based in our Palo Alto office. As a Manufacturing Process Engineer, you will be the primary manufacturing engineering liaison to Wing new technology teams, understanding project requirements, assessing technologies, and developing a detailed manufacturing plan.
What You’ll Do:
- Establish, deliver, and maintain manufacturing processes for new products throughout the product life cycle: Work with ODMs, CMs, and vendors to prioritize and solve problems. Drive continuous improvement through the supply chain, resulting in reduced cycle time, increased yields and improved cost.
- Provide strong engineering in mechanical fixture designs to fast track product manufacturing to mass production, including working with contract manufacturers and vendors to prioritize and solve problems
- Expert in design for manufacturability (DFM) and influence Product Design and EE to improve manufacturability for yield and reliability
- Collaborate with Product Design engineers and EE team to ensure robust design for manufacturing, providing expertise in manufacturability (DFM) and influence Product Design and EE to improve manufacturability for yield and reliability
- Interface cross-functionally with design and commodity teams in down-selection, sourcing, qualification, and integration of components and vendors used in Google’s products; work with Quality and Reliability team to define requirements for shipment
- Perform the secondary duties as the SMT engineer to streamline the SMT process, setup key process parameters and validate the process for the scaling up and yield improvement
What You'll Need:
- BS or higher in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of experience in manufacturing engineering role and takes care of the product from NPI to volume MFG stage
- Strong manufacturing background in developing robust and repeatable processes to scale new products, including mechanical fixture designs, with process controls in mind in a rapid schedule
- Expert in driving engineering requirements and cost saving initiatives at vendors and contract manufacturers
- Understanding GD&T, tolerance stack up and design
- Excellent communicator and team player -- capable to identify the time when help is needed and ask for help
- 5+ years of experience in manufacturing engineering role
- MS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
- Knowledgeable in FATP process and technology, experience in drone or flight system manufacturing and experience in a fast pace production ramping environment on both NPI and sustaining phase
- Experience in SMT process will be a plus
- Understand injection molding, foam process, adhesive, carbon tube and machining process
- Capable to apply manufacturing statistics and design of experiments, able to review the end to end process and identify the cost reduction area with effective implementation plan
- Be able to run simple modifications in 3D modeling software (NX, Creo, SolidWorks, etc)
- Ability to establish and follow proper procedures for machine capability (CPK, Gage R&R)
- Six sigma training, black belt or Lean manufacturing concepts and methodologies strongly preferred, knowing well how to use statistical software, i.e. JMP, minitab
- Fluent in English and Mandarin
At Wing, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.